Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Not sure where to start here....how about Hummingbirds?

I started taking pictures of hummingbirds in October of 2009. One of my co-worker's Mahesh (pic below) and I headed over to Shoreline Lake with our cameras one Saturday afternoon. We went there to find pelicans to take pictures of but they were no where to be found. So we took pictures of the bluejays, seagulls, egrets and ducks. Got a couple of decent pics but it was not one of the best picture days.

We were about to call it quits when we came upon a hummingbird in a tree. It was a beautiful creature and we just started taking pictures of it. Although the tree was bare, it was hard to get a good picture since he was within a tree with many limbs. He would dash over to a mexican sage bush to get his nectar then zoom back to safety atop of the tree. They are very fast creatures so it was hard to follow him. Here are a few pics I took of this little birdie.

One of the pictures I took this day was chosen as a "Featured Photo" on Picasa.   It was getting late and it was getting dark and the sun was going down and was shining right at us.  Mahesh wanted to go but I had to take a couple more pics.  I used my on camera flash and the colors turned out a bit strange and it was a bit dark.  Almost looks like he is in front of a fire.   It was taken with my Nikon D700 and my 70-200mm lens with my 1.7 teleconverter so it was taken at 340mm.

I almost deleted it since I did not think it was a worth while photo but after messing around with it using Picasa and Photoshop Elements, here is the how the final picture turned out and as mentioned above, this was my first featured photo on Picasa.  http://picasaweb.google.com/rickwmorris/BirdsAndTheBees#5398507790270296354

It's amazing what you can do with a digital photo!

Now my friend Mahesh is happy!





2 comments:

  1. Rickwmo, você é um excelente profissional, suas fotos são magníficas, parabéns.Abcs do amigo AIRES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are gorgeous in quality and tone. I especially note the color and detail sharpness of the photos of birds. All the best to you in your life and work.

    ReplyDelete